Friday, June 3, 2011

A Sewing Project?

First off, I don't really sew (at all...not even on my scrapbook pages), but one of our MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) moms just had a baby, and we always give them a new handmade blanket. Well, our stash of "girl" blankets was depleted, and so the task fell on me. I actually made another one last year (with my mom's help) and it turned out ok, so I decided I could do this (even without my mom to guide me). So I spent some time (ok, quite a bit of time because I'm slow) this afternoon making this simple flannel blanket. I think it turned out pretty good...especially for someone who has ZERO sewing ability. 
You just take 1 yard of 2 coordinating pieces of flannel and trim them up to match each other (there's no exact size it has to be). Then pin the two pieces together all around the outer edge. Measure to find the middle, and pin (or use a wash-away fabric marker or pencil) down the middle, as you will be stitching along the middle also. Sew in approximately 1" (I have a piece of blue painters tape on my sewing machine that I use as a guide so I can sew straighter) around the outer edges and then sew down the middle where you pinned (or drew your line). After sewing, use sewing scissors and cut fringe (making cuts about 1/2 inch apart from each other)...remembering to cut squares out at each of the four corners (IMPORTANT: make sure you don't cut past the sewn lines). Then wash your blanket in a dye-free, fragrance-free detergent and dry--the fringe will become frayed (this is what you want:o)). And viola--you have a wonderful, easy, cozy handmade blanket!!!
Trust me...if I can do this, anybody can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment